Apr 21, 2013

It's... alive!

Well, after a year and a half of radio silence, I probably lost what few readers I had... Nevertheless, better late than never!

I am now in my fourth and final semester of my program in maritime archaeology at the University of Southern Denmark (http://www.maritimearchaeology.dk/). There are no classes or lectures to attend; instead the time is meant to be spent writing my thesis. I have chosen to continue writing on the vessel I helped to excavate last summer at the International Fieldschool of Maritime Archaeology Flevoland, in the Netherlands  (http://ifmaffieldschool.blogspot.nl/... most of the posts are in Dutch, but if you sift, you can find some in English!). 

That particular field school was my first official field experience in archaeology, and it was fantastic. The vessel was in a field outside of Lelystad, and we joined the field school in it's last three weeks of operation, for a few weeks in June and July. We cleaned and recorded and drew timbers, in rain and sun. 






Then we had to return to Denmark in order to participate in our program's field school, which was held in Bagenkop, on the island of Langeland. This project was an underwater excavation, and we were also responsible for the post-processing of the data we collected. 







1 comment: